Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are an easy throw together comfort food for me. You can add shredded cheddar to the top if you want It is a low-fat. delicious dinner and could easily please a "meat eater"!
- 3 bell peppers (red or green)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄8 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen soy crumbles (I use Boca Brand)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (I use Uncle Bens ready made)
- 3 -4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 -2 tablespoon mustard
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil until soft.
- Meanwhile, cut peppers lengthwise and clean out seeds & membrane.
- Add undrained tomatoes, boca crumbles and rice to softened onion mixture. Simmer until well combined. Add ketchup and mustard **NOTE** Add more or less depending on how thick/thin sauce is. It should be just thick enough to remain in peppers. Play with it and add it to taste!
- Put pepper shells in a 13x9 and spoon mixture into peppers and cook covered with foil for 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 350°F or until peppers are soft.
This recipe was great! I accidentally got the Mexican-style tomatoes, and it turned out they gave the recipe even more flavor. Will definitely be making it again!
Wow this was so easy and it was so wonderful. I made this with some fresh from the garden peppers and I cut the recipe down to 2 peppers (what I had). I parboiled the peppers until bright green to cut down on cooking time in the oven. I used canned tomato sauce instead of the tomatoes (8 ounces) and added cumin and cayenne pepper. I didn't have regular mustard so I used Dijon. I also topped these with 2% sharp cheddar cheese and it totally didn't need the cheese, the filling had such a good flavor. Thanks for posting, I will definitely be making this again!
I loved this recipe. My teenage daughter recently decided to go vegetarian so I have been looking for recipes to try. The only changes I made were to add some lawry's seasoning salt and lots of black pepper. I also added some whole kernel corn and used tomato sauce instead of the stewed tomatoes. It turned out excellent. Will be making these again!!!