Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I love McDonald's Sausage McMuffin, but this healthy creation is just as tasty (Boca burgers are scrumptious with the right fixings!).
- 1 boca veggie burger
- 1 egg
- 1 slice cheese (American is nice)
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon smart balance margarine (non-hydrogenated butter subtitute) or 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Toast bread.
- Heat Smart Balance or oil in non-stick pan on medium high.
- Meanwhile, microwave Boca burger in package (just open it on one side) for 2 minutes.
- When pan is hot, crack egg into it and break yolk with edge of shell.
- Sprinkle egg with salt and pepper.
- Turn egg over with plastic spatula when ready (usually about 30-45 secs).
- Cook until yolk reaches desired consistency (I like it a little gooey but mostly firm).
- While egg is cooking, spread mayo on one side of toast and put Boca burger on top.
- Put cheese on other piece of toast.
- When egg is done, put put it on top of cheese (if cheese doesn't melt, put the whole thing in the microwave for about 10 seconds).
- Put sandwich together and eat before it gets cold!
- Optional: add some hot sauce for extra kick.
An actual egg mcmuffin from McDonald's (with egg and cheese) is 450 calories and has 27 grams of fat. This doesn't seem like a much healthier choice...though a Boca burger has got to be healthier than McDonald's sausage!
Tasty, filling breakfast. I also had Morningstar Farms Meatless Breakfast Sausage patties on hand and really debated whether to use those rather than the Boca burgers. For the sake of following the recipe, I went ahead and used the Boca burger (Flame Grilled version). It went very well, but next time I will probably go with the sausage version. I only microwaved the burger a little more than 1 minute and had no American cheese on hand so I used cheddar. Thanks for posting your healthy sausage "McMuffin". :)