Prep 8 mins
Cook 12 mins
From the Bob's Red Mill Baking Book; recipe by John Ettinger of Portland Oregon.
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Sift together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using your fingers, rub cubes of cold butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk and stir until moistened, then knead a few times, just enough to make the dough come together.
- Drop about 1/4 cup dough onto parchment paper and flatten slightly, or you may choose to roll about half inch thick and cut them, placing them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
I love this recpe! I buy all of my flour from Bob's Red Mill and I have had these biscuits at the cafe in Milwaulkie, Or. These are so delicious and healthful (compared to reg biscuits). Delicious!!