Prep 12 mins
Cook 1 min
A delicious couscous hot cereal for breakfast! Printed on the back package of Bob's Red Mill Golden Couscous.
- 3 cups milk (you can substitute any type or non-dairy alternative)
- 3 tablespoons almond butter (any favorite nut or seed butter will work) or 3 tablespoons smooth cashew butter (any favorite nut or seed butter will work) or 3 tablespoons peanut butter (any favorite nut or seed butter will work)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (I subbed orange-flavored dried cranberries)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup couscous
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds, toasted (or your favorite nut such as walnunts, pistachios, etc.)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla, extra (optional and my addition)
- brown sugar, to tatste (optional)
- Note: I am giving you both the directions from the package and my directions separately.
- BOB'S RED MILL GOLDEN COUSCOUS PACKAGE DIRECTIONS: Bring milk, nut/seed butter and raisins to a boil.
- Add remaining ingredients and return to a boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 10 minutes.
- COOKGIRL'S ALTERNATE DIRECTIONS: Place the milk or milk alternative and the nut/seed butter of choice in a pan and bring *almost* to a boil. Use a fork to incorporate the nut/seed butter into the milk.
- Stir in the salt and couscous. Bring *almost* to a boil again and gently boil 1 minute then remove pan from heat.
- Cover and let stand 10 minutes. After 10 minutes stir in any dried fruit of your choice. Stir in the vanilla extract if desired. Top the couscous with toasted almonds or other nut. Add a splash of milk or milk alternative if you want.