Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from my neighbor Bob.
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 fresh garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons ginger (freshly grated) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, finely sliced (optional)
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon star anise, crushed (optional)
- 1 ounce Scotch whisky (optional)
- Mix the first six ingredients, and any or all of the rest that intrigue you, with one exception:
- Just before using, add the aromatics (ginger, herbs, etc). Don’t overmarinate. Brush lightly on meat, fish, or portabello mushrooms.
- The marinade will keep for years (sez Bob) as long as it isn't contaminated by raw meat or fish.
- Finally, this marinade acts as a preservative if you're taking fish or meat to a potluck barbque.