Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
or Gajar Ka Halva. Bob always brings wonderful foods to our food parties. He brought this dish to our New Year's Day "Good Luck - Pot Luck". It was absolutely yummy! He promised me the recipe, and here it is.I checked other Carrot Halva and Gajar Ka Halva recipes and this was different. I will use Effortless Clarified Butter (Aka Ghee) in the Oven to make my ghee.
- 6 medium carrots
- 3 cups milk
- 8 whole cardamom pods
- 6 tablespoons ghee
- 6 tablespoons sugar (granulated)
- 2 tablespoons sultanas (golden raisins)
- 1 tablespoon pistachios (shelled, unsalted, and slightly crushed)
- 1⁄2 pint heavy whipping cream
- Peal and grate carrots.
- Put carrots, milk, and cardamom pods in a heavy pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium and slowly cook and stir until no liquid is left. (about 45 minutes to 1 hour, you may need to adjust heat).
- Heat ghee in pan over medium heat.
- When this is hot, put in carrot mixture.
- Stir and fry until carrots no longer have a wet, milky look. (they will be a rich reddish brown about 10-15 minutes).
- Add the sugar, sultanas, and pistachios.
- Stir and fry another 2 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream warm, or at room temperature.