Cook1 hr 30 mins
From: “The Africa News Cookbook, African Cooking for Western Kitchens”. Malay orgin. Serve with rice and chutney.
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 slice bread
- 1 cup milk, used 1/2 cup at a time
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons chutney
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 almonds, quartered
- 4 bay leaves or 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Saute the beef with onions until meat is browned.
- Soak the bread in half the milk; then mash the slice with a fork.
- Combine all the ingredients (except the remaining milk and egg).
- Spread mixture into a greased casserole and bake for 1 hour.
- Beat the egg with the remaining ½ cup of milk and pour over the casserole.
- Return to oven for another 30 minutes.
this was a very good version of bobotie that i made for zwt4. the addition of chutney was very nice. i used slivered almonds and yellow raisins, amd my homemade curry powder instead of a purchased blend. the topping was thin but that's probably because i used skim milk. this had great flavor.