Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is recipe #5 from *Microwave Cooking* by Lorna Rhodes. During ZWT last yr, I made Ev’s excellent Bobotie using lamb. This Bobotie recipe is a not-as-highly-spiced microwave version that uses beef instead. I'll prob opt to spice it up a bit & use lamb again, so feel free to do the same. (Time does not include 5 min standing time) *Enjoy* !
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed, more as desired)
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (lean)
- 2 ounces sultanas
- 1 tablespoon chutney (more as desired)
- 1 ounce fresh breadcrumb
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 5 ounces milk
- 1 ounce sliced almonds (toasted is preferred)
- 3 bay leaves
- Place butter & oil in a lrg bowl & microwave on HIGH for 1 minute. Add onions + garlic, cover & cook for 2 minutes. Stir in curry powder & cook for 2 minutes.
- Mix in the grd beef & cook on HIGH for 5 minutes. Add sultanas, chutney, breadcrumbs, 1 egg, salt & pepper. Mix well & turn into a microwave serving dish.
- Beat remaining egg in the milk, pour over the meat & sprinkle w/almonds. Place the bay leaves on top & cook on HIGH for 15 minutes. Leave to stand (covered) for 5 minutes, remove bay leaves & serve immediately.
- NOTE: After the meat is cooked in Step #2 of the prep, I will opt to transfer the cooked meat to the microwave serving dish w/a slotted spoon, allow the accumulated meat drippings & rendered fat to rest & then skim the fat from them so I can add the spiced juices to the meat mixture for the final cooking stage.