Recipe by Boomette
A recipe from Ricardo posted for ZWT8 India. Bobotie is the Sheperd’s pie of the South Africans. It is a combination of ground meat, breadcrumbs, milk, and curry powder covered with an egg and milk mixture.
- 2 slices day-old white bread, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup mango chutney or 1⁄4 cup apricot jam
- 1⁄4 cup sultana raisin
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 grated lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 4 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a bowl, combine the bread and milk. Let soak for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In non-stick skillet, brown the onions in the butter. Add the meat and sauté until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and spices and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bread and the remaining ingredients. Adjust the seasoning. Transfer and press evenly into a 28 x 20-cm (11 X 8-inch) baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the milk and eggs with a whisk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour that egg mixture over the cooked meat, right out of the oven, and garnish with the bay leaves. Continue baking for 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Serve with yellow rice (see recipe).