Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a South African recipe, easy and delicious.
Make and share this Bobotie recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 175 C/350°F.
- Chop the onion and the applie. In a large bowl, mix the milk and bread crumbs, and grease a shallow dish.
- Heat the oil in the pan and add curry powder, then add onions. Saute until onion is transparent, then add the chopped apple.
- Transfer onion/apple mixture to the breadcrumb mixture. Saute the beef until brown, then add that to the onion/breadcrumb mixture. Season with spices and the chopped almonds, pour into the oven dish.
- Mix eggs and milk and pour over the dish. Place the bay leaves are decoration. Bake for 40 - 50 minutes.
- Serve with potatoes and green salad.
Great dish! I used dried apricots instead of apple and will probably use a bit of cayene to make it hotter next time but it was delicious, thank you!
I've had this saved to try for a couple of years and finally got around to making it. Now I wish I hadn't waited so long. This was wonderful. My only comment is that I probably should have cooked it just a little longer as it was pretty wet, creating a little puddle on the plate that I sopped up with a paper towel. Still, it didn't affect the flavor at all. I stuck with the recipe exactly except for subbing fennel seeds for the tarragon and using pine nuts instead of almonds. Yum!
often make this but usecoconut milk or soy milk-as I only eat kosher and therefore don't mis milk & meat. It is a really tasty recipe.