- Cake: Cream butter and then cream in sugar with 6 beaten egg yolks.
- Add the muffin mix, milk, baking powder, salt and extract. Stir well by hand ( not with mixer ). Beat egg whites stiff and fold into mixture. Place mixture in a greased 10 x 14 inch pan.
- Bake on a 350F oven about 40 minutes or tested done. Remove from oven and cool in pan until warm.
- Cut into squares or diamonds.
- Pour on hot syrup.
- Sprinkle with almonds.Garnish with maraschino cherries.
- Note: make syrup while cake is baking.
- Bring all syrup ingredients to a boil and boil until a thickened syrup.( maybe about 20 minutes or less )