Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a wonderful stew to be served over rice. It is from the Pavilion Restaurant in Edisto Beach, SC.
- 1 large chicken
- 5 cups water
- 4 strips bacon, diced
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 bottle Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (32 ounce) bottle ketchup
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour, mixed with water
- 6 sliced hard-boiled eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Cover chicken with water in a large stockpot, salt to taste, bring to a boil and then simmer til tender.
- Drain, but save the broth.
- Saute bacon until almost crispy, add onion and saute until soft.
- Add 3 c broth, worcestershire, ketchup and seasonings; bring to a boil and thicken with the flour/water mixture Stir in butter just before serving; serve over fluffy white rice with a salad and hushpuppies.
recipe is about right, but needs 4 or 5 chickens in proportion to the other ingredients. Great flavor!