1/1 Photo of Bobo De Camerao (Brazilian Creamy Prawn (Shrimp) and Cassava Ste
This is a really satisfying Afro-Brazilian dish which everyone seems to love. It has an extremely subtle yet unique flavour and texture quite unlike any other. Palm oil can be found in the world foods section of any major supermarket and is essential for this dish, as is the cassava which you may find under the name mandioca or yucca root. Yucca root is a long root vegetable that looks like a wooden stick, I have seen fresh Yucca root in the exotic veg section and in the frozen veg section in some UK supermarkets. If you can't find these 2 ingredients at your local supermarket you will most certainly find them at any ethnic supermarket. The finished product has a tropical feel to it and is quite colourful. The lime is mandatory here too as it cuts through the fats and lifts this dish right up. Absolutely Gorgeous.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g yucca root, Peeled and chopped into 1inch pieces
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped fine
- 907.18 g small cooked peeled prawns (shrimp)
- 60 g coriander, chopped (cilantro, half a large bunch)
- 100 g coconut cream, grated (in solid block form)
- 22.18-44.37 ml palm oil
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1Cook the Yucca root in plenty of salted water for 30-40 minutes or until tender enough to mash.
- 2Drain off most but not all of the water and mash the mixture well.
- 3Heat the oil and fry the onions until just starting to brown on a medium heat.
- 4Add the tomatoes and cook for around 5 minutes.
- 5Throw in the prawns with a little salt and pepper along with the coconut cream and allow to melt together.
- 6Add the coriander and mashed Yucca and mix to combine and cook for 5 minutes. It should be a thick creamy mixture by now, if not cook a little longer to evaporate some of the liquid.
- 7Stir in the palm oil and serve with white rice and a wedge of lime.
- 8Food of the Gods.
- 9TIP: To lower the fat content, fry the onions in spray oil, use only 70g coconut cream and use the lesser amount of palm oil. Any leftovers will freeze well.
Browse Our Top Brazilian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brazilian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bobo De Camerao (Brazilian Creamy Prawn (Shrimp) and Cassava Ste
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 589.2
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 285.7 mg
- Sodium 1324.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 20.7 g
- Protein 34.8 g