Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from Bobby Flay's recipe over on FN's website. The recipe posted there makes much more spice mixture than you would ever use to make the chicken, so I'm posted the reduced amounts. This is very spicy, so if you aren't a fan of heat, cut the cayenne to 1/2 teaspoon. This is served with Bobby's Grilled Tomato Jam & Herbed Yogurt. (Posting separately so it's not overwhelming.)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 (8 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 pita breads
- Heat up your grill to medium high.
- Spice Paste - mix all of the spices and oil together in a small bowl. The paste will be thick, and you can add more oil if needed to achieve a paste consistancy.
- Pound your chicken breasts until they are even thickness, if needed.
- Spread a thin layer of the spice paste on ONE side of the chicken ONLY. (I used my fingers to rub the spices onto the chicken.) If you do both sides, the spices will be too overwhelming. Trust me, it'll have plenty of taste. (One side is Bobby Flay's recommendation, and I'll follow it.).
- Grill your chicken until cooked through - about 3-4 minutes on each side. Pull the chicken off the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes. Slice the grilled breasts, about 1/2 inch thick slices.
- While the chicken is resting, warm the pitas on the grill - just until they are pliable. Top with the chicken slices and serve with grilled tomato jam and herbed yogurt.
- NOTE: You can swap the herbed yogurt for plain sour cream or yogurt. DH made the herbed yogurt, and then when we ate leftovers we used sour cream, and preferred it.
I am rating this on the spice mixture, since I did not make the pitas. I used the spice on breast and thigh pieces and served as the meat course with rice and broccoli, and topped with ID #389460. Very good spice mixture with just the right amount of heat for us. Going to try the mix on wings next time. Made for Kittencalskitchen.com Grilling tag game.