Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
this yankee loves this stuff! good simple down home food
for the grits
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups water
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup grits
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely grated cheddar cheese
for the shrimp
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped
- 20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion
- melt butter and oil in large saucepan.
- add onion and garlic, cook until softened.
- add milk, water and 1 tsp salt, bring to boil.
- slowly whisk in grits and bring to boil.
- reduce heat to simmer and cook 15-20 mins until thickening, whisking every few minutes.
- add cheese to melt, stirring, add salt& pepper to taste.
- for shrimp--.
- heat a pan to smoking, add bacon, cook until brown, remove and drain on paper towels.
- remove all but 3 tbsp of fat, add shrimp.
- cook until pink.
- serve shrimp over grits in soup plates, garnish with bacon and scallions.
I used the grits recipe and then just spiced the shrimp my own way. The grits were very rich and creamy and perfect with the shrimp.
Very Good Chia, I make grits often, These are great with cheese in them and the shrimp served over them. DH really enjoyed them.