Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs 40 mins
Used to roast all my vegetables and meats for stock, and when I saw Bobby Flay making it; copied the recipe and am posting it here for safe keeping.
- 4 lbs chicken bones, chopped
- 3 large Spanish onions, quartered (skin left on)
- 1⁄2 head celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup peppercorn
- 1⁄4 cup parsley stems (stems only)
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Combine chicken bones, onions, celery, and carrots in a large roasting pan; toss with oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Roast until the bones and vegetables are a rich golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.
- Transfer the bones and vegetable to a large stockpot, add 12 cups cold water, and add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 4 hours, skimming the scum that rises to the top with a ladle every 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain through a mesh strainer into a clean pot.
- Place back on the stove over high heat and cook until reduced by half.
- Use immediately or let cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.
- *Serve with egg noodles, matzo balls, rice, or some kind of small pasta; such as, orzo, angel hair broken into small pieces, etc.