Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the April/14/2006 Life Magazine. A bit of a pain to make, but very good. I used one can of Broth and 3 cups of chicken bouillon. If you need more just add water.
- 12 stalks asparagus
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron, large pinch
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped, I used more
- 1 cup arborio rice, uncooked
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, Freshly Grated
- Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.
- Put Asparagus on foil lined, rimmed baking sheet.
- Toss with some of the oil.
- Salt and pepper spread out on sheet.
- Roast for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Cut roasted Asparagus into ½ inch pieces on bias, set aside.
- In Medium pot Heat Stock to a simmer over high heat.
- When bubbles form reduce heat till barely bubbling.
- Add Saffron and stir every 5 minutes or so.
- In a large high sided sauté pan, sauté Onion for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add Garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add Rice to pan stirring to keep it from sticking for 2 minutes.
- Add Wine to pan and stir until absorbed.
- Add one Cup of stock stir until absorbed then add another cup.
- Keep adding Stock one Cup at a time until you use all of it.
- This will take 20 to 30 minutes.
- The rice may not look done until most of the liquid is gone. The final product should be thick and creamy.
- Stir in Asparagus and Cheese and cook for a few minutes.
- Season with salt and Pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
This risotto worked out very well and was actually easy to make. I sauted a few mushrooms into the mix as well. Delicious!
A very good risotto, always a favourite of ours. I used more asparagus than the recipe called for, and less liquid ... maybe about 4 1/2 cups in total, I added as necessary. I used a vegetarian garlic and herb stock. Served as a main dish, this was about 3 helpings. Very good flavour, I would make this again. Thank you John, this was made for PAC Fall 2011
Loved this recipe easy to make and fabulous flavor. I used more garlic than the recipe states as my family loves garlic. Paired it with a chilean sea bass. High recommend this delicious dish!!