Most German potato salads are made with mayo, but this one is not. It is by far better than any that I have made with mayo. You must try it! We make this to accompany Bobby Flay's Beer-Simmered Bratwurst. Great for a summer party.
- Place unpeeled potatoes in a large pot with the onion and cover with water.
- Cook on the grates of the grill (the bobby flay way) or just do it on the stove (the way we do it).
- Bring to a boil and cook until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Drain and discard onions.
- When cool enough to handle cut potatoes in cubes or slices.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Place a large sauté pan on grill/stove, add the bacon and cook until crisp.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the red onions to the rendered bacon fat and cook until soft, 4-5 minutes.
- Carefully add the vinegar and mustard seeds and cook 2 more minutes.
- Whisk in the canola oil and hot mustard and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the potatoes to the pan of dressing and toss gently to coat.
- Fold in the green onions, parsley and bacon; season again with salt and pepper to taste.