Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Most German potato salads are made with mayo, but this one is not. It is by far better than any that I have made with mayo. You must try it! We make this to accompany Bobby Flay's Beer-Simmered Bratwurst. Great for a summer party.
- Place unpeeled potatoes in a large pot with the onion and cover with water.
- Cook on the grates of the grill (the bobby flay way) or just do it on the stove (the way we do it).
- Bring to a boil and cook until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Drain and discard onions.
- When cool enough to handle cut potatoes in cubes or slices.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Place a large sauté pan on grill/stove, add the bacon and cook until crisp.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the red onions to the rendered bacon fat and cook until soft, 4-5 minutes.
- Carefully add the vinegar and mustard seeds and cook 2 more minutes.
- Whisk in the canola oil and hot mustard and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the potatoes to the pan of dressing and toss gently to coat.
- Fold in the green onions, parsley and bacon; season again with salt and pepper to taste.
Delicious! I did not have potatoes in the house, but I did have two 1.4 pound bags of Simply Potatoes sliced potatoes. I zapped them for a few minutes in a dish in the microwave, and used them instead of traditional peeling, boiling, slicing potatoes. It was a good speed scratch upgrade and conserved time. This recipe is delicious -- thanks for sharing it HeidiSue!
This is great.My husbands family is German. They love this twist to an old favorite. It is easy to make. Just follow the directions. I made it for 50 people as a side dish. Its high in calories but you can replace the bacon fat with vegatable oil to cook the onions. I add a little more vineger in its place.
EXCELLENT. Made according to directions, took it took a potluck and came home with ZERO leftovers and many requests for the recipe. DEFINATELY will be making this again. Thanks for posting!