Galley Wench's Note:
Enjoy with sausage and syrup for breakfast, or for dessert with ice cream and caramel sauce. Note: Calvados is a dry, apple-flavored brandy however you may use apple cider, brandy or sweet cooking wine as substitute,
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 granny smith apples or 4 braeburn apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2Whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt until smooth.
- 3Whisk in the milk, heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- 4Add the flour and whisk until smooth.
- 5Heat butter in a 9-inch nonstick pan or a cast iron pan, until melted.
- 6Stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon and cook until the sugar has completely melted.
- 7Add the apples and cook until slightly soft, about 8 minutes.
- 8Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest.
- 9Pour the batter over the apples and place the pan in the oven.
- 10Bake until the edges are brown and puffy, about 16-18 minutes.
- 11Carefully invert the pancake onto a serving platter.
- 12Dust with confectioners' sugar and drizzle with some of the caramel sauce.
- 13Caramel Sauce:.
- 14Place sugar and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat (do not stir), swirling the pot occasionally to even out the color, until amber in color, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 15While the caramel is cooking, place the heavy cream and cinnamon stick in a small pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 16Remove from heat and keep warm.
- 17When the caramel has reached the desired color, remove the cinnamon stick from the heavy cream and slowly begin adding the warm cream to the caramel and whisk until smooth.
- 18Remove from the heat and stir in the brandy.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bobby Flay's German Pancake (Pfannkuchen)
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 730.8
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 205.5 mg
- Sodium 225.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 90.2 g
- Protein 7.4 g