Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Lots of spice in this one, just as Bobby is known for. I clipped this out of our newspaper which credits Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 (15 -16 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 jalapenos, chilies roasted, peeled and seeded
- 1 poblano chile, chilie roasted, peeled and seeded
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- kosher salt
- pepper, freshly ground
- Heat olive in in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add carrot, onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add wine, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half.
- Add beans and reduce heat to medium.
- Add chilies and broth and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a blender or food processor, puree half of the soup and return it to the pot.
- Bring to a simmer before serving.
- Top with garnishes such as finely chopped red onion, coarsely chopped avocado, diced tomatoes and sour cream.