These are wonderful bratwursts! They are always a big hit with our guests. I always make these with Bobby Flay's German Potato Salad. Great for a summer party.
- 3 large onions, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 lbs bratwursts, pricked with a fork (Bobby uses pre-cooked brats, but we get more flavor out of using uncooked, Johnsonville is our favor)
- 6 (12 ounce) bottles dark beer (we always use Sierra Nevada Pale Ale)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled & chopped (1-inch)
- bun, of your choice (or not)
- German mustard, of your choice (we prefer Honey Spice mustard)
- sauerkraut (optional) or pickles (optional) or pickled eggs (optional) or pickled beets, chopped (optional) or sauteed onion (optional)
- Arrange onion slices and garlic along the bottom of a medium stockpot.
- Place bratwurst on top and then add the beer, water, coriander, caraway, mustard seeds and ginger.
- Fire up the grill.
- Bring to a simmer over the grill grates or on a burner.
- We do it on the stove top, but you still need the grill to finish cooking the brats.
- Simmer the sausage in the mixture for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the bratwursts sit in the liquid for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the sausages with tongs onto a platter.
- Place the bratwursts on the grill and grill until cooked through (about 10-15 minutes).