1/21 Photos of Bobby Flay Throwdown Red Velvet Cupcakes and Cream Cheese Icing
1 hr 25 mins
I saw this recipe on the Food Network show Bobby Flay Throwdown. He challenged a lady who has a cupcake store. This is the recipe she uses and says she sells the most of. You want to make these huge. She makes them to feed 2 people. Opening them up and cutting them in half like a regular cake. The icing recipe makes alot,,,but plan to use a heaping scoop on top of the cupcake. Since you cut it in half and eat it with a fork every forkful can dip into the icing. I double the cocoa amount for more flavor. Also,,it calls for 2 tbs of red food coloring, it does make it very red,,but even 1 tbs will make it red enough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vinegar (white or apple cider can both work)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup water
For the cream cheese frosting
- 1For the cupcakes:.
- 2Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- 3Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder into a bowl and set aside.
- 4In a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix oil, sugar, and buttermilk until combined. Add eggs, food coloring, vinegar, vanilla and water and mix well. Add the dry ingredients a little bit at a time and mix on low, scraping down sides occasionally, and mix until just combined. Be sure not to over mix, or the batter will come out.
- 6Line a 16-cup cupcake pan with paper liners, scoop the batter into the liners and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- 7For the cream cheese frosting:.
- 8Whip the butter and cream cheese together in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until creamed. Gradually add powdered sugar to the mixture and scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- 9The frosting can be used right away, or stored in the refrigerator up to a week.
- 10Frost cooled cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bobby Flay Throwdown Red Velvet Cupcakes and Cream Cheese Icing
Serving Size: 1 (3725 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 969.2
- Calories from Fat 534
- Total Fat 59.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.8 g
- Cholesterol 143.5 mg
- Sodium 654.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 86.0 g
- Protein 7.0 g