I saw this recipe on the Food Network show Bobby Flay Throwdown. He challenged a lady who has a cupcake store. This is the recipe she uses and says she sells the most of. You want to make these huge. She makes them to feed 2 people. Opening them up and cutting them in half like a regular cake. The icing recipe makes alot,,,but plan to use a heaping scoop on top of the cupcake. Since you cut it in half and eat it with a fork every forkful can dip into the icing. I double the cocoa amount for more flavor. Also,,it calls for 2 tbs of red food coloring, it does make it very red,,but even 1 tbs will make it red enough.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vinegar (white or apple cider can both work)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 cup water
For the cream cheese frosting
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 lb butter, room temperature
- 2 lbs powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- For the cupcakes:.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder into a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix oil, sugar, and buttermilk until combined. Add eggs, food coloring, vinegar, vanilla and water and mix well. Add the dry ingredients a little bit at a time and mix on low, scraping down sides occasionally, and mix until just combined. Be sure not to over mix, or the batter will come out.
- Line a 16-cup cupcake pan with paper liners, scoop the batter into the liners and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- For the cream cheese frosting:.
- Whip the butter and cream cheese together in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until creamed. Gradually add powdered sugar to the mixture and scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- The frosting can be used right away, or stored in the refrigerator up to a week.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting.