Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Does anyone know how to make this cake work? The recipe is missing a step. I attempted this thing and it turned out terribly......Who wants to tackle this?!?!?!
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fine salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for pans
- 1 cup good quality Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons good quality Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups muscavado light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups strongly brewed black coffee, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter 2 (9-inch) cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt the 12 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the cocoa powder and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, add the sugars and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Add the coffee, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract and continue whisking until smooth and just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans and bake on the middle rack until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 42 minutes. Let cool in the pans on a baking rack for 20 minutes. Then invert the cakes onto the baking rack and let cool for at least 1 hour before frosting.