Recipe by Bobbie
I created this recipe by combining about 7 different sloppy joe recipes I've used over the years. My family and friends say I finally found the perfect sloppy joe.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon cooking oil (use as little as you can)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup (can use a little more)
- 3⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook celery, onion and bell pepper in the cooking oil until tender.
- Add ground chuck and brown.
- Mix catsup, barbecue sauce, water, brown sugar, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, salt, pepper and nutmeg together. Add to browned chuck mixture.
- Simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes (stirring occasionally) until mixture is the consistency you prefer.
- Serve over warmed or toasted buns.