Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is a traditional Christmas Eve bread in Sub-Carpathian region. This is not eaten alone, but served with the traditional mushroom soup poured over it (see my mushroom soup recipe).
- 1⁄2 package yeast
- 1⁄2 cup scalded milk
- 3 cups flour
- 3 ounces evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can sauerkraut, well drained (save liquid if making the mushroom soup)
- Dissolve yeast with sugar in lukewarm milk, set aside to rise (15 min).
- Sift flour in a deep bowl.
- Add evaporated milk, water, and melted butter.
- Add beaten egg yolks, salt, and yeast mixture.
- Knead well, cover and let rise 2 hours.
- Pinch off enough to make a 1/2-inch ball, roll into ball shape and place on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Let rise for 10 minutes.
- Bake at 375F for 15 minutes, until lightly brown.
- Put into large bowl mix with sauerkraut.
- Serve with my Mushroom Soup recipe.