Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was looking for something to eat for supper and browsed what I had on hand and I came up with this recipe. I have posted this on a local TV stations website and now it has gone national.
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, add in more to suit your taste if you prefer
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb frozen shrimp (I prefer using salad shrimp)
- 1 lb cheese tortellini pasta, cooked and drained
- garnish with parsley or chives, for decoration
- Cook tortellini as directed on package. Meanwhile, thaw the frozen shrimp in a colander using cold running water. Remove the tails. If using uncooked shrimp, devein and remove tails and then sauté in a teaspoon of the butter. Remove shrimp and set aside. Do not overcook. In a saucepan combine butter, heavy cream, and cream cheese. Simmer this until all is melted, and mixed well. Add the Leeks, Parmesan Cheese and garlic powder. Simmer this for 15 – 20 minutes over low heat. Toss the tortellini with the shrimp and sauce, coating well. Add the parsley or chives and serve.
Made this tonight and it was a hit. My son really wanted scampi and was upset at first when he saw this but after eating it he was very satisfied. I didn't add leeks since i didn't have any but it tasted great. I added a little more cream cheese as well since I wanted to finish off what I had left. At first it was a little lumpy and seemed runny but after adding the shrimp and tortellini in and letting it sit for a few minutes it thickened and became really creamy. We served it with homemade bread sticks, green beans and cantaloupe for dessert.