This is the soup that I won 1st place in a soup contest at the Rail Festival in Fostoria, Oh on September 25, 2010
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef broth or 5 cups stock
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (I like cabernet or sauvignon )
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 yellow squash
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- Place the sausage in a large pot over medium high heat brown the sausage. Add the onions, garlic, peppers and carrots. When those ingredients have softened, add the beef broth, water.
- Next add the beef stock, water, wine, tomatoes, basil, oregano and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, skimming any fat that may surface.
- Add the zucchini, yellow squash, and tortellini, Simmer for 10 minutes, or until tortellini is fully cooked.