Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the soup that I won 1st place in a soup contest at the Rail Festival in Fostoria, Oh on September 25, 2010
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef broth or 5 cups stock
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (I like cabernet or sauvignon )
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 yellow squash
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- Place the sausage in a large pot over medium high heat brown the sausage. Add the onions, garlic, peppers and carrots. When those ingredients have softened, add the beef broth, water.
- Next add the beef stock, water, wine, tomatoes, basil, oregano and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, skimming any fat that may surface.
- Add the zucchini, yellow squash, and tortellini, Simmer for 10 minutes, or until tortellini is fully cooked.
Awesome recipe! Made it yesterday...coldest day of the year so far....and shared it with several friends. All wanted the recipe. It is definitely a comfort food that is a keeper! Thanks Bob!!!
I can sure see why you won first place. This is a hearty, warm soup full of flavor and perfect for cold winter days. Clear directions and great taste. I made a few minor changes - used one red and one green bell pepper (for color) added one peeled and chopped potatoe, left out the yellow squash (mine had gone bad) and added 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers to the mix. DH delcared this a winner on our table too. Made for TOTM soup tag.