Recipe by Ambervim
Not sure where I picked this up. For a 9" pie shell.
Top Review by pdgrovebaskets
Before anyone can even begin to bake this item the ingredients needs to be corrected. The very first ingredient has both cups AND tablespoons listed for the quantity. Now you can't have it both ways. Is it 1 1/2 cups of sugar or 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar?
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon peel, minced (rehydrate in 2 Tbs water)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Start with a nicely cooked pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and water over medium low heat stirring constantly until thick.
- Stir in the butter until melted.
- Remove from stove and whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time. Then the lemon juice, salt and lemon peel.
- Reheat gently on low for 2-3 minutes while stirring. Do NOT boil.
- Pour into pie shell and cool.
- Meringue - start with a VERY clean, dry glass bowl and beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar to stiff peak on high.
- Fold in the sugar and vanilla by hand, carefully.
- Spread over the pie to the edge.
- Bake 15 minutes until the meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool to room temp, then refrigerate until time to serve.