Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Not sure where I picked this up. For a 9" pie shell.
Make and share this Bob Hope's Lemon Meringue Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups tbsps sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon peel, minced (rehydrate in 2 Tbs water)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Start with a nicely cooked pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and water over medium low heat stirring constantly until thick.
- Stir in the butter until melted.
- Remove from stove and whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time. Then the lemon juice, salt and lemon peel.
- Reheat gently on low for 2-3 minutes while stirring. Do NOT boil.
- Pour into pie shell and cool.
- Meringue - start with a VERY clean, dry glass bowl and beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar to stiff peak on high.
- Fold in the sugar and vanilla by hand, carefully.
- Spread over the pie to the edge.
- Bake 15 minutes until the meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool to room temp, then refrigerate until time to serve.