Prep 3 hrs
Cook 15 mins
I'm never asked to bring this to parties and pot-lucks. Because people don't know that I make it (except you, of course).
- 17 Oreo cookies
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 gallon coffee ice cream or 1⁄2 gallon vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1 (8 ounce) chocolate bars or 8 ounces chocolate chips
- Crush the Oreo cookies, add the butter, and blend together.
- Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie pan to form a pie crust.
- Add the ice cream.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and then drizzle it over the ice cream.
- Cover the pie with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Serve when the ice cream has reset.
I needed to make a super-simple, light dessert after a heavy meal. I thought an ice cream pie would be perfect. Using this recipe as a beginning, I bought Double-Stuff MINT Oreo cookies and chocolate ice cream. I made the crust and filled the softened ice cream exactly as the recipe stated. Instead of drizzling the chocolate, I cut a few extra cookies in half (diameter, so I had half circles with filling inside) and I stood these half-cookies up around the pie. I have to tell you that I have already gone out and bought another package of mint Oreos. It was to DIE for!
Great, simple recipe. The crust came out a little too hard though. Is there such a thing as over-freezing? :)