Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
I love this chili with it's mixture of meats and hint of cinnamon! Served with a warm cornbread and you've got a meal! Chourico can be found online at Gaspars.com or any Portuguese market.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 12 ounces chourico portuguese sausage, casing removed and cuit into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 green jalapenos, slit lengthwise and then in half, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place olive oil in large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add sirloin and pork in batches and brown, removing to a bowl once browned.
- Once these are browned, add ground beef, chorizo, onions and garlic to the pot and brown.
- Return sirloin and pork to pot.
- Stir in rest of ingredients.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Stir occasionally, breaking up tomatoes.
- Discard cinnamon stick, bay leaves, and jalapenos before serving.
- Garnish with cheese, chopped onions, sour cream and/or crushed tortilla chips.