Recipe by Jo Garrett
My boss gave me this recipe several years ago. The recipe supposedly came from the "Boat House" restaurant in Charleston, SC. Even people that don't like collard greens love these. This recipe is just that different!
Top Review by ArtistsFoodPalette
I tried this recipe today with 3 bunches of collards with same amount of ingrediants and loved the results! Excellent flavor and I really don't like collard greens. My southern husband said "less molasses" but awesome.
- 1 bunch collard greens, stems removed and washed (Can use two bunches of greens without doubling the other ingredients, and it tastes the same)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons louisiana style hot sauce, to taste
- 3 fluid ounces whiskey
- 1 ham hock
Directions See How It's Made
- Put prepared greens in large pot.
- Add water (maybe a half of pot).
- Bring to a boil, and boil for one hour.
- Add sugar, molasses, hot sauce, whiskey, and ham hock.
- Bring to a boil again, and boil for another hour.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 4-6 hours.
- During the last hour of cooking, add a little salt to taste.