Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
This a a great biscuit recipe from Art Smith (O Magazine, Oprah fame).
Make and share this Boarding House Biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a medium-size bowl.
- Using pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly with a few pea-size pieces of butter.
- Stir in enough of the buttermilk to make a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly flourd surface.
- Quick knead dough just until it comes together being careful not to overknead.
- Roll out dough until it is 1/2-inch thick.
- Using a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits and place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 18 minutes.
- Variations: Biscuits with Cheddar, Chives and Pepper--after you have cut butter into mixture, add 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives and 1/2 teaspoon coarsly cracked black pepper.
- Mix gently, then stir in the buttermilk.
Nummmmy Biscuits Sharlene!! I used all allpurpose flour, didn't have any cake flour, and had no unsulted butter, so left the salt out. Wonderful flaky inside, crisp outside biscuits!! A perfect match with our stew tonight, thanks for sharing! This one is in my hard copy.
Very good and easy recipe!! I only changed a couple of things....I used all purpose flour (I don't keep cake flour) and instead of buttermilk I used a mixture of whole milk and heavy whipping cream to equal about 3/4 cup. I also put my pan in the oven with about 3 or so tablespoons of butter flavor crisco while I was cutting out the biscuits. Then I dipped each biscuit in the extra crisco and just put them sides touching on the pan to bake. I got 13 biscuits (I just used a glass cup to cut them) and baked for about 18 minutes! Very easy and great flavor....even when heated up the next morning for biscuit toast! Thank you!!