Recipe by Sharlene~W
This a a great biscuit recipe from Art Smith (O Magazine, Oprah fame).
Top Review by Derf
Nummmmy Biscuits Sharlene!! I used all allpurpose flour, didn't have any cake flour, and had no unsulted butter, so left the salt out. Wonderful flaky inside, crisp outside biscuits!! A perfect match with our stew tonight, thanks for sharing! This one is in my hard copy.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a medium-size bowl.
- Using pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly with a few pea-size pieces of butter.
- Stir in enough of the buttermilk to make a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly flourd surface.
- Quick knead dough just until it comes together being careful not to overknead.
- Roll out dough until it is 1/2-inch thick.
- Using a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits and place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 18 minutes.
- Variations: Biscuits with Cheddar, Chives and Pepper--after you have cut butter into mixture, add 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives and 1/2 teaspoon coarsly cracked black pepper.
- Mix gently, then stir in the buttermilk.