1 hr 30 mins
Dienia B.'s Note:
This is copy cat of a recipe from the best Chinese restaurant I've ever eaten at in Overland Park. For the zaar world tour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb eggplant
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chinese black bean sauce, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups oil, divided
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1Rinse eggplant and dry.
- 2Diagonally slice the eggplant into 11/2-inch thick slices. (This will create diagonally sliced, round discs).
- 3With the tip of a knife, slice a pocket into each piece, slicing parallel to the surface and slicing only about 3/4 of the way through each slice.
- 4Each eggplant disc now has an opening for the shrimp stuffing.
- 5Chop shrimp into pieces about the size of corn kernels.
- 6Place shrimp in a bowl and season with salt and pepper; mix until shrimp becomes sticky, about 4 minutes.
- 7Using a table knife, stuff about 1 to 2 teaspoons shrimp mixture into the pocket in each eggplant slice.
- 8Dip knife into cold water between stuffing to smooth shrimp filling (This step could take 15 to 20 minutes).
- 9Pour 1 cup oil into a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- 10Pan-fry stuffed eggplant until brown on both sides.
- 11(Eggplant absorbs oil like a sponge; add additional oil if pan becomes dry or eggplant will not brown).
- 12When brown, remove from pan and set aside to drain.
- 13Pour 1 tablespoon oil into a hot wok.
- 14Add black bean, garlic and ginger; stir-fry until ingredients become a light brown.
- 15Add 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, soy sauce and wine.
- 16Stir together cornstarch with 1/2 cup water, mixing until well-dissolved.
- 17Slowly pour cornstarch mixture into wok, stirring constantly.
- 18Cook, stirring, until mixture has the consistency of syrup.
- 19Stir in sesame seed oil, then remove from heat.
- 20Dip each eggplant piece in sauce to coat well, then place each piece on a small, heatproof plate.
- 21Place plate in steamer and steam over boiling water 12 to 15 minutes.
- 22Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bo Ling's Stuffed Eggplant in Black Bean Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1135.6
- Calories from Fat 1023
- Total Fat 113.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 142.8 mg
- Sodium 1442.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 17.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black bean sauce