Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is copy cat of a recipe from the best Chinese restaurant I've ever eaten at in Overland Park. For the zaar world tour.
- 3⁄4 lb eggplant
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chinese black bean sauce, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups oil, divided
- 2 cups water, divided
- Rinse eggplant and dry.
- Diagonally slice the eggplant into 11/2-inch thick slices. (This will create diagonally sliced, round discs).
- With the tip of a knife, slice a pocket into each piece, slicing parallel to the surface and slicing only about 3/4 of the way through each slice.
- Each eggplant disc now has an opening for the shrimp stuffing.
- Chop shrimp into pieces about the size of corn kernels.
- Place shrimp in a bowl and season with salt and pepper; mix until shrimp becomes sticky, about 4 minutes.
- Using a table knife, stuff about 1 to 2 teaspoons shrimp mixture into the pocket in each eggplant slice.
- Dip knife into cold water between stuffing to smooth shrimp filling (This step could take 15 to 20 minutes).
- Pour 1 cup oil into a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Pan-fry stuffed eggplant until brown on both sides.
- (Eggplant absorbs oil like a sponge; add additional oil if pan becomes dry or eggplant will not brown).
- When brown, remove from pan and set aside to drain.
- Pour 1 tablespoon oil into a hot wok.
- Add black bean, garlic and ginger; stir-fry until ingredients become a light brown.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, soy sauce and wine.
- Stir together cornstarch with 1/2 cup water, mixing until well-dissolved.
- Slowly pour cornstarch mixture into wok, stirring constantly.
- Cook, stirring, until mixture has the consistency of syrup.
- Stir in sesame seed oil, then remove from heat.
- Dip each eggplant piece in sauce to coat well, then place each piece on a small, heatproof plate.
- Place plate in steamer and steam over boiling water 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.