1/7 Photos of Bo-Kaap Cape Malay Curry Powder - South African Spice Mixture
French Tart's Note:
My take on Cape Malay curry powder; I devised this when I finally finished my precious box of this type of curry powder, that had been sent to me in a Herbs and Spices swap by Zurie! I checked the ingredients list and finally after a little trial and error, I came up with this, and it is a pretty close match! Influenced by Malay cuisine, Cape/Malay curry powder/masala is a blend of sweet and pungent spices to include cloves, cardamon, fennel, mustard, coriander, turmeric, fenugreek, a little chilli and black pepper. A curry powder/masala of a mild heat yet full of the flavours you expect in Indian curry. This curry spice mix is wonderful in all types of curries, but especially authentic Cape Malay style cuisine, and of course curries.
My Private Note
Large J ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon clove
- 1/2 cup coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 3 small dried hot red chilies, seeds and stems removed
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 curry leaves, chopped into small pieces
- 1Place all the whole seeds in a frying pan and dry roast for a minute or two, until they become pungent and release their fragrance. Place them in a food processor or coffee grinder and pulse until they are finely ground - or grind them with a pestle and mortar.
- 2Add the remaining ground spices, including the chillies and the curry leaves, to the roasted spices and mix well.
- 3Store in an airtight jar or tin for up to 6 months, in a dry, cool and dark place.
Browse Our Top Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bo-Kaap Cape Malay Curry Powder - South African Spice Mixture
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 585.6
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 106.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 46.8 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 25.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: