5 hrs 20 mins
I don't know who Bluto is but this looks good! Very easy! From an email I received today!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups dried kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced well
- 1 green pepper, chopped coarsely (or red or yellow)
- 1/2 cup diced unpeeled red potatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 5 cups water or 5 cups vegetable broth
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- grated cheese, if desired
- 1Cover and soak beans overnight in cold water- Drain.
- 2Put beans in slow cooker.
- 3In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil or a small amount of liquid; saute onion and garlic until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 4Add bell pepper, potatoes, chili powder and the cumin.
- 5Continue cooking, stirring frequently for about three minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- 6Add rice and water or broth; cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until chili is thick and rice and beans are tender.
- 7Because the acid in tomatoes supposedly keep uncooked beans from becoming tender, add the tomatoes after the beans are cooked- for the last hour or so of cooking (But if you want, you can add them when you add the bell pepper and potatoes).
- 8Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 9Garnish with cheese if desired.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bluto's Beans and Veggie Chili
Serving Size: 1 (417 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.1
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 30.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 9.5 g