Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This pasta has a beautiful blush colour and the taste is fabulous. A little gem I found in the Taste of Home. Had to estimate the amount of pasta as it called for 1/2 package. I have also added shrimp or mussels to this on occasion.
- Cook penne as per package directions.
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook onions in butter for 8-10 minute
- Add thyme, basil, salt and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add 1/2 C cream, broth and tomato paste.
- Cook and stir until well blended.
- Combine flour and remaining 1/4 C cream until smooth.
- Gradually stir into onion mixture.
- Bring to boil, cook and stir continuously for 2 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Toss with noodles and additional Parmesan.
Chose to make this knowing I had tons of boxed pasta...apparently every kind except penne! Made with veggie farfalle and it was amazing! I decreased the amount of thyme and basil so my boys wouldn't freak out on the amount of "green stuff" and it still had wonderful flavor. I loved that it was made and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Will be making this again and again! Made for PAC Spring 2014.
Made this as given & it was wonderfully flavorful, so I'll be keeping the recipe around! I like the idea of, now & then, adding some meat to it, & since I almost always have shredded chicken in the freezer . . . ! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in the special event All Aboard the L-O-V-E Train!]
I came across this recipe after I had browned some ground chicken, and proceeded with yours. I used some basil pesto paste for the basil (didn't add thyme). I served over wheat penne. I really liked the ground chicken with it, as it made it more filling. The whole family enjoyed (including two teens). Thanks for posting, Mums. Roxygirl