Recipe by mums the word
This pasta has a beautiful blush colour and the taste is fabulous. A little gem I found in the Taste of Home. Had to estimate the amount of pasta as it called for 1/2 package. I have also added shrimp or mussels to this on occasion.
Top Review by HEP MEP
Easy to make and it had a nice flavor, although none of us really raved about it. I made mine meatless, so maybe next time I'll try it with some ground chicken or something. Thanks.
- 1 (350 g) box penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream (divided 1/4 C)
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook penne as per package directions.
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook onions in butter for 8-10 minute
- Add thyme, basil, salt and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add 1/2 C cream, broth and tomato paste.
- Cook and stir until well blended.
- Combine flour and remaining 1/4 C cream until smooth.
- Gradually stir into onion mixture.
- Bring to boil, cook and stir continuously for 2 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Toss with noodles and additional Parmesan.