Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Nice cake with good apple topping. Recipe came from local PTA cookbook 30 years ago.
For the cake
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 1 egg
- 5 cups tart apples, pared and sliced
For the topping
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1 (3 ounce) package cherry gelatin
- Mix and sift flour 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cream butter, add sifted ingredients and mix.
- Combine slightly beaten egg and milk and add to creamed mixture. Mix well.
- Press mixture onto bottom of greased 7" x 11" x 1-1/2" pan.
- Press apple slices into dough so they overlap.
- Prepare topping:.
- Place cherry gelatin in 8 ounce cup and fill cup with sugar.
- Cut butter into flour to make coarse crumbs.
- Combine crumb mix with gelatin mix.
- Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake in 350 degree F. oven about 50 minutes.
quite a nice cake. served it cold with a whipped topping but would be great warm with ice cream. might try it with cranberry gelatin sometime. served this at a family dinner and both d-in-laws wanted the recipe.