Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a recipe for Wendy's chili that I've adjusted to make it how I like it. It's the same consistancy as Wendy's but I add a few more flavors and use less beans. I'd love to see what you all out there think of it if you try it. My friends and family all really like it but they might be afraid I'd poison 'em if they said otherwise. Only kidding. I once entered it our departmental chili cookoff at work and took second prize (10 other entrants). I make it in a large duch oven on the stovetop but you can make it in a crockpot. Just brown the meat and veggies in the oil before putting them in the crockpot Add everything else to the crockpot, stir and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Add some cayanne pepper if you like more heat. This is mild.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans (plus liquid)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans (plus liquid)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans (plus liquid)
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 cup sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup celery
- 1 red sweet bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat on stove top in a large dutch oven.
- dice veggies (onion, celery, garlic, bell pepper) and add to hot oil. Sweat them for about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to med-high and add meat. Cook until browned.
- Add seasoning to ground beef mixture and cook another 2 minutes.
- Deglaze pot with the can of tomato and their juice ,scraping up any browned bits on the bottom,.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer uncovered 4 hours and stir occasionally.
- Skim fat off of top if needed Feeds 8-10 depending on appitites.
- Top with cheddar or manchego cheese, sour cream. hot sauce, green onions, tortilla chips or crackers if desired.