Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This was super simple to make and my 2 year old just loved it! Even the adults at the party were inpressed! For her spots and tounge, I used blue and pink airheads referred to as taffy in the directions.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour baking pan with vegetable cooking spray and flour. Prepare cake mixes according to package directions, replacing the water with buttermilk, and increase eggs to 4.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth top. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; about 32 to 35 minutes.
- Transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool for ten minutes.Invert and cool completely.
- Print the Blue's Cake Printable Templates, www.nickjr.com/food/character_food/blues_clues_recipes/blue_cake_templates.jhtml, and place the paper templates onto the cooled cakes. Cut out pieces using a small knife. Arrange cake pieces onto a serving platter or cardboard covered with foil.
- Divide 1/2 cup of frosting into two bowls.
- Tint one a dark blue and one a very dark royal blue.
- Transfer each color into a resealable bag.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of white frosting into a resealable bag.
- Tint the remaining frosting a light blue.
- Frost the entire cake with the light blue frosting using a small spatula.
- Heat the taffy in the microwave for a few seconds to soften. Roll out the blue taffy so that it’s 1/8 inch thick. Cut out Blue's spots from the taffy and place on top of the cake. Reheat and reroll scraps if necessary.
- For her tongue, cut pink taffy into shape and press the back of a knife down the center for the crease.
- Cut around Blue's eyes from Blue's face printable. Use a toothpick to mark the eyes' shape. Pipe or squeeze the frosting from the bags to fill in the eye areas, make the mouth, nose and pupils.