Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an extremely simple horse cookie that I developed for my special boy, Blue. Try them, they are so much cheaper to make than buying those ridiculously priced ones at the tack shop! As a matter of fact, you could probably even whip up a batch in the time it takes just to get there!
- in a large bowl, mix together the first 5 ingredients.
- in a smaller bowl, combine the applesauce, honey, and molasses.
- pour the wet ingredients over the dry and mix with a wooden spoon. (batter will be tough).
- if you are having trouble getting all of the ingredients to combine, add in small amounts of water and continue mixing until all of dry ingredients have been incorporated.
- roll batter into golfball-sized balls and place on a cookie sheet.
- flatten each ball with either your hand of the bottom of a measuring cup.
- bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
I made these, with a few changes, for all the horses at my barn as Christmas presents! I used flax & sesame seeds and instead of carrots, I used dried granny smith apple chips, crushed. Also, only had creamed honey and added a TBSP of kosher salt. I used a melon-baller and then flattened with a glass. I got 60 treats out of the recipe. Thanks for sharing. I anticipate lots of happy ponies :)
My horse loves these! Even the picky horses ate them and wanted seconds.