Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
A fish chowder
Make and share this Bluenose Fish Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb fish fillet
- 1⁄4 lb pork fat, diced
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk, room temperature
- Cut fresh fillets into 3 to 4 pieces.
- In a heavy saucepan, fry pork fat until crisp.
- Remove scraps and reserve for garnish.
- Drain off fat except for 2 tbsp and cook onion until tender.
- Add potatoes, 2 cups water and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
- Add fish; cover and simmer 5 to 8 minutes or until fish is cooked.
- Add milk slowly and heat gently but do not boil.
- Garnish with pork scraps.