Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful moist blueberry cake loaded with brown sugar streusel in the middle and on top, it's best served warm topped with vanilla ice cream ;-)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (or use 2 teaspoons alond extract)
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (can use less cinnamon)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter (to be mixed with remaining half of the streusel mixture for top of cake)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until combined; set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed beat butter with sugar for about 3 minutes.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined.
- in a medium bowl mix together flour with baking powder, salt and lemon zest; add to the creamed mixture along with the yogurt mixing on low speed or with a wooden spoon just until combined.
- Mix in blueberries until just combined.
- Pour HALF of the cake batter into prepared baking dish, then sprinkle with HALF of the streusel mixture.
- Pour the remaining HALF of the cake batter over streusel.
- In a bowl mix the remaining HALF of streusel mixture with 3 tablespoons soft butter then sprinkle over the cake batter.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done.