Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A quick, healthy, easy snack or dessert. Either fresh or frozen blueberries will work in this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Crumble graham crackers and Rice Krispies in a food chopper or food processor and whisk around until you have fine crumbs.
- Mix the graham mix and the remaining bottom layer ingredients together to form soft dough. I do this with a wooden spoon or bare hands. There is no need to get out a mixer for this.
- Firmly press the dough into a 9X13 pan. Completely cover the bottom of the pan in an even layer. Do not use a larger pan. You can use a smaller baking pan for a thicker bar.
- Mix all the top layer ingredients together, except the blueberries, mixing well. A wire whisk works well. Again, don't bother to get a mixer out.
- Gently mix in the blueberries.
- Pour the top layer mixture in the pan over the bottom layer. Make sure the blueberries are spread out evenly.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Chill completely before cutting and serving. Although it is difficult to wait so long, chilling overnight will give the custard plenty of time to set.
It didn't look like enough crumbs to coat the bottom of a 9x13, so I used an 8x8. I am very happy with the results. Very tasty. I used vanilla yogurt instead of plain & (yay for good timing!) fresh wild Maine blueberries. Best of luck in the contest! Reviewed for RSC#12.
I really enjoyed the bars, except that the top was very sauce-like, and I was hoping that it wouldn't happen. I think the bottom part was nice and firm, but it did lack some flavour.
Of the two contest entries my husband took to the office to share,these were the favorite despite definitely being the healthiest! The top layer,which reminds me of Homemade Blueberry Protein Bars, is especially delicious. The bottom layer was just O.K. considering the butter in it and could probably be improved without all the contest ingredients as I'm not sure if I could discern the flavor of the rice krispies. I baked these for 55 minutes which seemed fine. I only read the description and cooking/prep time so didn't realize until after I was making these that we couldn't eat them until the next day. Creative use of contest ingredients!