Recipe by Bobbiann
Nutritious waffles that are still light and yummy. This is a variation on a recipe that came with my waffle iron.
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole spelt flour or 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unprocessed natural bran or 1 cup spelt natural bran
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄3 cup sucanat or 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups almond milk or 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, bran, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites just until stiff.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks and sucanat with the mixer. With a spoon, stir in the milk and oil. Stir the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture until just moistened; don't beat.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites and blueberries into the batter. Bake according to your waffle iron instructions.