Recipe by SweetySJD
I love all the components of this salad. I can't wait to see how they all taste together!
Top Review by i_m_patty
I loved the taste, but not everyone at my dinner liked it -- you really have to like the taste of wild rice in order to like this recipe. I used frozen blueberries, which seemed to add extra liquid to the dressing, turning both the dressing and the wild rice a blueberry color. If using frozen blueberries, be sure to let them thaw and DRAIN. I've also used this recipe substituting fresh snipped mint leaves in place of the tarragon - a whole different taste, but good!
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups wild rice, cooked and cooled
- 6 ounces chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil (optional)
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place walnuts on a baking sheet and bake 5-7 minutes, until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool.
- Wash and drain blueberries, remove stems and place in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, salt, pepper and tarragon. Toss to coat. Let stand about 15 minutes.
- Add rice, chicken and walnuts.
- In a small bowl combine dressing ingredients.
- Pour over blueberry mixture and mix well. Place lettuce and orange segments on four plates. Top each with salad mixture. Serve at room temperature.