Recipe by Kaarin
These are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. The sauce is slightly tart and so good! If you use the lemon extract the waffles will have a wonderful lemon scent. The cook time includes the rest time for the batter.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with water to make a paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a medium bowl. Whisk in the sugar, yolks, milk, flour, baking powder, salt and lemon extract until smooth. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the yolk mixture along with the 1/2 cup blueberries.
- Use 2/3 cup batter in a greased belgian waffle maker or follow waffle maker directions.
- To make the sauce: combine the blueberries, sugar and orange juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer 2 minutes. Add the cornstarch paste and simmer another 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Serve waffles with warm sauce.