Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Serve this blueberry cake with whipped topping or ice cream.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 (15 ounce) can blueberries, drained, reserve liquid
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites, beaten until stiff peaks form
- sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping
- In a saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of the juice from canned blueberries; cook until sugar is dissolved. Cover bottom of a buttered 9-inch square baking pan with the drained blueberries; pour cooked syrup over them.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks, granulated sugar, and 5 more tablespoons of the blueberry liquid. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the egg yolk mixture. Fold in egg whites. Pour batter over the blueberries in baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 45 minutes. Remove cake from oven; immediately run spatula around edge of pan and invert onto a serving plate. Before lifting the pan off, let syrup drain onto the cake for a few minutes. Cut while still warm; top each serving with whipped cream, if desired.