Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Made easy by using puff pastry.
Top Review by plr60rgn
I followed this recipe to the "T" but when I started filling the pastries the blueberry mixture was way to juicy and I had about (4) blow outs out of the twelve. After the first batch was done, I drained the blueberries and then filled the other pastries with just the fruit without any blow outs. However, my neighbors really liked them.
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed for 30 minutes
- 1⁄2 cup blueberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen, thawed blueberries)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly flour a work surface; roll out each puff pastry sheet to a 12-inch square; cover with plastic wrap and chill 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a bowl, stir together the preserves, cornstarch, brown sugar, and lemon zest.
- Fold in blueberries and vanilla; put mixture in refrigerator.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each puff pastry sheet into four 6-inch squares.
- Whisk egg and water in a small cup.
- Lay a pastry square on a work surface and brush the edges with egg wash.
- In the center of the square, place 2 heaping tablespoons of blueberry filling.
- Brush the edges of the pastry square with egg wash and fold it in half to create a triangle.
- Carefully press the edges together to seal them well with fork tines.
- Transfer turnovers to baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the turnovers with the egg wash and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm or let cool to room temperature.